We all have unique talents and skills, unfortunately most of us are quite satisfied with just existing, playing it safe instead of living and creating a life of greatness. Wayne Dyer summed it up perfectly when he said, “I refuse to die with my song inside me.”I have many skills that make me unique, one is the ability to simplify complex information, and another is being able to communicate effectively with others. However, the skill that brings me the most profound joy is my smile. A smile might sound simple, yet it has incredible powers. Research has shown that smiling releases a neurotransmitter that produces feelings of happiness and wellbeing. Plus, I saw somewhere that a smile is a flower on your face.
Smiling is a unique skill I have learned to cherish over the years. I use my smile to calm fears, insecurities, hurt, and anxieties in myself and others. When a project goes wrong, I smile, pushing away the creepy voice of failure, while welcoming creativity and reassurance. When I enter an elevator, I smile, hoping that it will remind others that they are visible, unique, and have a purpose in life. My smile breaks barriers, resolves conflict, motivates, inspires, and gives me an aura of down-to-earth approachability.
When I walk into a room, my smile sends a welcoming message, an open invitation, saying I am not a stranger, that I am kind, warm, accepting, and open-minded. With my smile I build lasting relationships, seal business deals, and create many happy experiences. That is the power of my smile, and I make it my duty to use it in everything I do.
Consider these questions: What makes you unique? Are you using your uniqueness to make a positive difference in the life of others? Are you living or are you busy blending in, losing track of who you are, and your uniqueness?
Some ways to put a little bit of you in everything you do:
- Embrace your uniqueness! Have a positive attitude, smile, love, and believe in yourself.
- Uniqueness means just that, even though your skills or talents might appear similar to others, they are not. So own them.
- Don’t try to blend in, be your authentic self and shine.
- Don’t try to write, speak, present, manage or lead like anyone else, find your unique voice, and when you do, shout from the roof top!
- Always be kind to yourself and others.
- Don’t compare yourself to others or show superiority or inferiority to another.
- Always be curious, learn, grow, and develop.
- Be bold and take chances, what do you have to lose.
In everything you do, be present! Be actively involved, learn, teach, love, give, laugh, encourage, inspire, embrace your uniqueness, and create amazing experiences! Be kind and forgiving to yourself, as you put a little bit of you in everything you do.
“You have exactly one life in which to do everything you’ll ever do. Act accordingly.” – Colin Wright.